[AMF-talk] amf.xsd

Tim Brody amf-talk@lists.openlib.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:44:31 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Krichel" <krichel@openlib.org>

>   1) in p/o noun: is supervisorof, remove. the term is too ambigous, as
this
>   sort of role is usually called "advisor" in the US.

Agreed. (perhaps interesting from the life-history of people, who someone's
super/advisor is isn't that relevant to the literature ...)

>   2) remove sponsor too, it can be easily added at a later stage, not
>   currently used.

Agreed.

>   3) replace ispartof and haspart by ismemeberof and hasmember.
>   The difference between both is that the following. ispartof suggests
that
>   if something is a part of a whole, then if the whole is destroyed so
>   is the something. Say the "palmer school" is a part of "long island
>   university", but the "US" are a member of "NATO". In practice,
>   the distinction can be subtle, and as far as the construction of
>   user services is concerned, it is quite irrelevant. Thus to
>   simplify, I suggest that a p/o is always a member, all others
>   are always a part. The uploaded amf.xsd has this feature.

I don't think anything in AMF gets retro-actively destroyed, so this isn't
an issue. If an author leaves a College, then the relation is time-scoped to
the end of their time at the College. If the College is destroyed later, the
author was still "a part of" that College for the time s/he was there - our
representation of the real-world holds true.

If it is simpler to have one relation (isPartOf), I suggest we stick with
that, rather than introducing subtlely different tags for the same concept.

All the best,
Tim.