[Repec-data] A first proposal

Pascale.CISSOKHO-MUTTER at oecd.org Pascale.CISSOKHO-MUTTER at oecd.org
Thu Sep 12 10:30:15 UTC 2013

To react on the previous exchanges, OECD Publishing would be interested to supply different data types to RePEc: dataset and data tables organised in "series" or "data collection"

1. We do not currently index each dataset series separately. In terms of granularity we only index each complete dataset of a data collection separately. Even if this may evolve.
So to take the example of "OECD Main Economic Indicators" database (OECD MEI)  mentioned in previous exchanges, we could have in such a case a "series" (in the sense of a data collection) OECD MEI collection (http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/mei-data-en ), and  fill a template for each of its dataset (e.g. key short-term indicators http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/data-00039-en )

We also index :
2- data tables from our statistical publications.
Again with the example of the "OECD Main Economic Indicators" monthly publication (http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/22195009)  composed of around hundred tables, we could have a "series" OECD MEI  (in the sense of the periodical publication) and fill a template for the latest released data tables (e.g. Gross domestic product, volume, 2005=100 http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/mei-v2013-8-table1-en)

3- thematic key  tables or indicators extracted from our databases organised in "series" typically " Gross domestic product in US dollars" (http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/gdp-cusd-table-2013-9-en)
In that case it might be interesting to supply the proposed properties as such:
Entity-Class: Country
Entity-Name:  >> multiple entries with all countries covered

Entity-Class: Time Series
Entity-Name: GDP

Entity-Class: Units
Entity-Name: At current prices and current PPPs in billions of US dollars

3. country table or indicators organised in series,  typically "Country statistical profile: United States"  (http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/csp-usa-table-2013-1-en)
In that case it might be interesting to supply the proposed property as such:
Entity-Class: Country
Entity-Name:  US

I agree that it should be up to the provider to decide the level of granularity which can be supplied depending on the organisation of  its data catalogue.‌
We would prefer using the same template for the different data type: dataset, table, time series...
Based on the above, the proposed template sounds fine as a starting point .
A few comments /suggestions:
- do not understand what is "Frequency-update" property compared to "Frequency-data".
- It should be possible to limit "Range start" and "Range End" to a year (YYYY format), otherwise a property "time range" (years covered) would be useful to add (YYYY-YYYY).
- provide the ability to link to related items not listed in RePEc.

Thanks,
Pascale

Pascale Cissokho Mutter
OECD Publishing