[Repec-data] A first proposal

'Christian Zimmermann' zimmermann at stlouisfed.org
Thu Aug 29 16:41:35 UTC 2013

Let me throw in an example. Take the OECD Main Economic Indicators. You
can structure them in various ways:

OECD MEI
  -> GDP
  --> France
  --> Germany
  -> Inflation
  --> France
  --> Germany

or

OECD MEI
  -> France
  --> GDP
  --> Inflation
  -> Germany
  --> GDP
  --> Inflation

My suggestion would be to have in such a case a "series" (in the sense
of a collection) OECD MEI, and have each individual "time series" French
GDP, French Inflation etc indexed with a separate template. The fields
should describe the series in a sufficent way so that whoever is using
the meatadata can cross it whichever way.

Of course, there are some datasets where the hierarchy is more evident,
and one can define subsets in a unique way. But again, a RePEc service
using the metadata could then recreate this easily from the templates
without using sub-series templates. This works already well with journal
articles that can easily be regrouped in volumes and issues based on
metadata information despite all article template being in a big pile.