[Repec-data] A first proposal

'Christian Zimmermann' zimmermann at stlouisfed.org
Thu Aug 29 10:44:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, David K. Levine wrote:

> A field where it can be indicated the nature of the collection method
> survey, laboratory experiment, internet experiment, field experiment?

How would you call such a field?

> is this intended to be be meta-data for a single file, or a group of related files

That is up to the provider. I would envision different versions of a
dataset to be captured in on template file and several File-* clusters

> do you want also to provide some meta-data about how things are formatted, what the fields are?

I am not sure at what level of detail we should go. Would data providers
be willing to list all the variables in a data set? I guess one could make
it an optional field and see what happens.

In any case, a lot can be captured by the Description field. But coding
additional information in specific fields is certainly valuable. One has
to avoid having too many of them, or providers will feel overwhelmed, and
those using the metadata would neglect some fields completely of they are
little used.