[RePEc-announce] RePEc in December 2014, and a look back at 2014

'Christian Zimmermann' zimmermann at stlouisfed.org
Tue Jan 6 19:24:53 UTC 2015

Let us first discuss what is new from last month. First, IDEAS changed its
website layout to be more friendly for our users on mobile users. Other
RePEc websites will soon follow suit. Second, the NEP-CWA (Central and
Western Asia) has been revived. And third, we welcome the following new
RePEc archives: University of Tennessee, KSP Journals, Davidson College,
Instytut Badañ Strukturalnych, Montana State University, Institute of
Agroecology and Environmental Management. For the set of RePEc services
that share such statistics, we counted 497,673 file downloads and
1,901,689 abstract views in December 2014.

This all helped us pass the following thresholds last month:

1700000 items listed in RePEc
600000 items with extracted and matched references
500000 working papers with abstracts
400000 cited articles
300000 working papers with JEL codes
1750 participating archives
1000 followers on NEP twitter feeds

Now, what have we acheived in 2014? For one, our archive maintainers (of
which there are 122 more) have added a ton of material: over 200’000
works, or an increase of 14%. While 54’000 working papers and 220 new
series were added, the big push came from journals with 266 new journals
and almost 150’000 new articles indexed in RePEc. Over 4’000 authors are
newly registered. We counted 25 million abstract views and over 6 million
downloads. The RePEc team has also worked hard to improve the user
experiences, making the website more accessible for mobile devices as well
as secure, and adding many features: NEP reports are now available through
Twitter, CitEc added many new features, and we are now working with the
Replication Wiki.

While in some ways one can consider RePEc to be a mature project, it dates
back to 1997 in its current form, it is still surprising how much growth
it is experiencing. And there is still a lot of potential, especially in
terms of enhancing the information disseminated by RePEc. We will see more
of that over the next year.

Christian Zimmermann                          FIGUGEGL!
Economic Research
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
P.O. Box 442
St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA