[rclis] rclis logo

Ivan Kurmanov kurmanov at openlib.org
Fri Oct 24 10:17:13 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I noticed this new proposed logo and as I see it going to the official
adoption, I decided to put my two cents about it.

Not being a trained visual designer or an artist, and just speaking
for myself, the logo Sasa posted is not of very good quality.

I have nothing against the idea to replace "i" dot with the spider
image.  I think it is a neat idea.

What I'm talking about it merely technical quality of the image.
If you look closer at the picture, you may notice some rough areas.
They are even more visible, if you magnify the image.

1- the "rclis" letters look distorted (as by multi-stage
disproportionate scaling).  To be precise:

   - the "l" letter right border looks inconsistent
   - the "i" letter left border is about twice as wide as its right
     border and other letters borders
   - similar problem with "r" letter, left border

2- the text below "rclis": "research in computing, library and
information science" is in pittyful condition.  In it's small pitch,
the nearby letters and different parts of some letters are not
separate.  They blend into a formless gray spot.  "esea" in
"research", for instance.

I guess the spider picture itself could benefit from some careful
pixel-work, but about that one I'm not sure.

While I don't have anything ready-made to suggest instead, my warning
is that this logo would leave a somewhat slight dirty feeling in every
careful visitor.

Ivan Kurmanov

On 03-10-23, Thomas Krichel wrote:
>   Imma writes
>
> > I think that it's a very nice logo, so we can put it on the RcLIS
> > webpage and also in E-LIS, cos we have there some information about
> > RcLIS. Good job Saaa :)
>
>   Where do you want to put in the existing webpage?
>   Note that there are several pages, to keep visual
>   consistency they will all have to be changed.
>
>   I think that Sasa's piece is best used when
>   referencing to us. So I see it as our logo
>   as a whole. I have therefore set to
>   implement it at http://acis.openlib.org. I have
>   also made a link to it on http://rclis.org
>   but not placed it there.