[rclis] Greetings

Ed Summers rclis@lists.openlib.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:50:21 -0500

Dear DoIS folks:

I recently became familiar with DoIS through Jose Barrueco who was kind
enough to host some programs that I wrote to automatically generate RSS
feeds for the Ariadne and D-Lib journals [1]

I worked in several academic libraries (Rutgers University, Columbia
University, University of Illinois, and Old Dominion University) before
embarking on a career as a professional programmer.  I still remain
connected to library and information science through my involvement in
the MARC/Perl project [2], which I started in 1999.

I've been looking around for another project to get involved in when I
heard from Jose; and found out that may have some projects that you could
use volunteers for.

Most of my professional programming experience has been in web and
database design using Perl, PHP and to a lesser extent Java and C. This
development has been in a Unix/Linux environment, and I have done a fair amount of systems administration work (FTP, Email, Apache, Samba, Firewalls). I have
some sort of addiction to issues of metadata which started during my days in
library school. This bug has included a fascination with all things XML, and
standards such as the Dublin Core [3] and the OAI-PMH [4].

I thought I would just introduce myself and let you know that I would be
willing to help out as time permits.

Best wishes,
Ed Summers

PS. I'd give you the URL for my resume, but I've had to switch ISPs
recently and my personal site is unavailable.

[1] http://dois.mimas.ac.uk/rss/
[2] http://marcpm.sf.net
[3] http://dublincore.org
[4] http://www.openarchives.org