[rclis] Re: jita classification of LIS

Thomas Krichel rclis@lists.openlib.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:01:06 -0600

----- Forwarded message from ds52 <Dagobert_SOERGEL@umail.umd.edu> -----

From: Dagobert_SOERGEL@umail.umd.edu (ds52)
Subject: Re: Re: jita classification of LIS
To: Thomas Krichel <krichel@openlib.org>

Sorry about the delay in my answer.  I was wrapped up in project work and
then end-of-semester grading.

Unfortunately, my comments are more on the negative side.

Overall, this classifiaction is very library-oriented; it does not rise to a
higher level of abstraction that would be required of a broader information
science classification.  I find it hard to see the logic of the overall
arrangment (there are traces of my RIS classification, but the overall logic
is mostly obscured.  For most of the individual sections, there does not
seem to be a meaningful arrangement of the topics included.

Some examples:

Under B, information needs should go to C
User interface should be in I (it is a micro consideration, not a
consideration of the overall information transfer system)

Under D, there should be further subheads to distinguish the different
facets or principles of subdivision

By geographical scope
By institution served
By discpline
By type

BTW, these distinctions are important for topics other than just "physical
collections", so D might be retitled Types of libraries (or generalized to
Types of information systems).  Also, this is relate to H.

Information sources can be characterized along different dimensions or
facets.  You might want to look at the AOD Thesaurus, section N for a
differerent treatment of this and other areas.  (Search Google for "AOD
Thesaurus")

J is really part of I

So it would take a bit of work to make this a classification that is more
general and systematically and meaningfully organized from top to bottom.
Beyond that, it is clearly too coarse to organize a large collection.

Have you looked at the classifications of Information Science Abstracts and
Library and Information Science Abstracts?  The latter is also heavily
focussed on libraries.

Sorry I could nor be more encouraging.

Dagobert Soergel

>  Dagobert Soergel writes
>
>> I will look at this when I come back from the ASIST meeting end of next
>> week.
>
>  Did you have a chance to do it then, or since then?
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Thomas Krichel                                   mailto:krichel@openlib.org
>                                              http://openlib.org/home/krichel
>                                          RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel

Dagobert Soergel
College of Library and Information Services
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742
Email:ds52@umail.umd.edu
Phone:301-405-2037, Home 703-823-2840, Fax 301-314-9145

----- End forwarded message -----