[ReLIS] Ancestral

Antonella De Robbio derobbio@tin.it
Wed, 01 May 2002 20:55:18 +0200

>   JMBC will be in the big apple arriving tommorrow. We will discuss
>   the situation and develop a plan, to be submitted to the list.

JMBC = Jose' Manuel Barrueco Cruz?
Very well: good work

>    Sure. The got big $$$ from the EU at one time and developed
>   the multi-linugal interface to NSCTRL.

$$$???
Proposed duration: 1/1/2002-7/1/2003
Proposed Budget: $95,000 (Lead ODU - 40K, VT - 30K, UVA - 25K)
Proposed Tasks:
Transition completion: UVA
Metadata normalization and support for sites to shift to OAI: VT
DL services and new tools:
 Kepler software: ODU
 Registration: ODU
 Search service: ODU
 OAI compliant functionality over an ftp site: UVA
Sociological impact, data collection, model development: VT
Potential new directions (buckets, other disciplines, other genres):
VT,UVA,ODU

Cornell has cease operations of NCSTRL.
The new plan for the preservation and transition ancestral digital library
using OAI technologies, will be jointly managed by ODU Old Dominion
University, UVA University of Virginia and VT Virginia Tech

> Have they preserved  the contents of NCSTRL?

I am reading on a document dated 1th May2002  ;-)
"A Sustainable, OAI-Based Implementation of NCSTRL"
by Kurt Maly, Mohammad Zubair, Michael L. Nelson, Ed Fox, Jim French

"During the first phase of the NCSTRL project, we have extracted both the
metadata and data from the existing Dienst servers.   UVA and Virginia Tech
have undertaken to automatically capture as much data as possible, to clean
that data to enhance usefulness, and to contact sites to both collect
additional metadata as well as to increase the number of online reports.
NCSTRL-OAI is based on the Arc software and provides now harvesting of some 50
old NCSTRL sites from a new Virginia Tech hosted union repository."
[...]
"Partitioning NCSTRL into service providers and data providers will allow for
greater research opportunities in user interfaces, metadata, harvesting and
digital preservation.  Our long term vision is to support existing NCSTRL
collections by making them OAI compliant, possibly with new large collections
at the department/organization level based on eprints software
(www.eprints.org), and individual publishers using Kepler software
(kepler.cs.odu.edu) to create small OAI compliant repositories"

The document described the ancestral history and background, speak a little
bit about CoRR and says about current state of new NCSTRL-OAI
Document don't speak about ERCIM. But I will be, next month (3-5 June), in
Pisa, to a workshop on free online scholarship communication with Stefania
Biagioni responsibile for Italian ERCIM project.

Cheers
Antonella