[rclis] Eprints

Antonella De Robbio rclis@lists.openlib.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:21:23 +0200

Hi !
Sorry for my absence ... but I was very busy. I am travelling around
Italy for some courses and conferences. Last week I will be in Sicilia
and then in Rome for a congress on Universities Italian Opacs.
I am just come back from a workshop on OpenArchives in Pisa with
Donatella Castelli (Scholnet) and Stefania Biagioni and Carlo Carlesi
of ERCIM. ... I have some news, but another time ...

> BTW, here in Spain, we have got a grant of 20.000 eur to write a
> eport on the implication for the Spanish scientific community of the
new
> ways of distributing scientific documents using open archives.

Wonderful ...

> One of the deliverables of the project will be a prototype of an
eprints server for
> library and information science. Here we spect to have the assistance
of
> Antonella who already has set up a server for Italian documents.

Sure. I have obtained a server on CILEA site, only for us. I had asked
space for the Italian Dois project, because I asked for it before
Christmass.
But the name is not important. The important are space and server.
I have asked for a server in order to implement an OpenArchive on LIS.
We could start it together on this Eprints installation.
I could managed it.
I am working now around theWebsite on Italian DoiS (our collections
already treated with ReDIF metadata in DoiS). But
we could wide it with Computer science too, in future.
The server will be a EPrints version by Chris Gutthriedge (Harnad),
because I know that.

>        The funds include some money (about 7.000 eur) to buy and
maintain
the domain rclis.org, for computing support (programming and hosting of
servers), consultancy (i. e. new dois design), etc. Thomas offered some
of
his servers in USA to host the rclis homepage. Would be possible to host

the eprints server there too?

I could offer one: for Italian LIS and others ... we could decide it.
The important is to follow the same hierarchic tree for the subject
based
servers LIS in order to create a good international LIS service provider

Cheers antonella