[OAI-eprints] FW: OAI ListMetadataFormats problem

Faust, Bradley D. bfaust at bsu.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:55:09 EST 2008

Sending for a colleague:

Greetings,

We have a repository that runs off EPrints 3 for Windows on a Windows Server 2003 system.  It works perfectly fine.  I want to add the repository on the OAI registry.  I, with an archivist in my library, have followed the instructions on http://wiki.eprints.org/w/OAI.  Then I ran the validation suite on http://www.openarchives.org/Register/ValidateSite.  It passed the first round of tests.  The second round produced the following message:

---
    Unfortunately your repository did not validate at version 2.0
    of the OAI-PMH according to our OAI protocol conformance tester.
    The errors received during testing are listed below.

    [1] Server failed to respond to the ListMetadataFormats request (HTTP header values: status=500 Internal Server Error, age=1, lifetime=3600, is fresh:=1)

    [2] Can't check metadataFormats available for item oai:cardinalscholar.bsu.edu:5, no response to ListMetadataFormats request.

    [3] There are no metadata formats available to use with the GetRecord request.  The metadataPrefix oai_dc will be used for later tests.

    [4] Datestamp in GetRecord response (2007-12-18T16:04:12Z) is not consistent with the days granularity specified in the Identify response

    [5] ListRecords gave an unexpected error response to a request using from and until datestamps taken from the previous GetRecord response: badArgument (Max granularity is YYYY-MM-DD: 2007-12-18T16:04:12Z)

    SUMMARY:

    Total exceptions improperly handled: 5 out of 15
    Total error count: 5
---

The Apache error log reported that one of the low-level scripts in the XML module was encountering a missing parameter:

    [error] Can't call method "isa" without a package or object reference at C:/EPrints/EPrints/perl_lib/EPrints/XML.pm line 134.\n

That is, here:

sub is_dom
{
    my( $node, @nodestrings ) = @_;

    return 1 if( scalar @nodestrings == 0 );

    foreach( @nodestrings )
    {
        my $name = $EPrints::XML::PREFIX.$_;
        return 1 if $node->isa( $name ); # line 134.
    }

    return 0;
}

Evidently somewhere information from the repository database is not making it into EPrints itself to be processed into something that the Web server can display.

Any ideas on where the problem could be coming from?

Andy West
University Libraries ... A destination for research, learning, and friends.
Microcomputer/Systems/Network Analyst v: 765 285 8032
Ball State University                f: 765 285 1096
Muncie, IN 47306                     e: mawest2 at bsu.edu
                                                                        w: http://mawest2.iweb.bsu.edu

The University Libraries provide services that
support student pursuits for academic success
and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation
and classroom instruction.

http://www.bsu.edu/library