[OAI-eprints] ALPSP Library Survey on Self-archiving and Journal Cancellation

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 07:49:14 EST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:29:16 +0000
From: Leslie Carr <lac at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: Mark Ware <subs at MARKWARECONSULTING.COM>
Cc: "Sally Morris (ALPSP)" <sally.morris at alpsp.org>, LIS-ELIB at JISCMAIL.AC.UK,
     Brown M.L. <M.L.Brown at soton.ac.uk>,
     Bill Hubbard <Bill.Hubbard at nottingham.ac.uk>,
     Alma Swan <a.swan at talk21.com>, Derek Law <d.law at strath.ac.uk>,
     Stevan Harnad <harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: ALPSP library survey

Your "ALPSP Library Survey on Self-archiving and Journal
Cancellation" looks very interesting, and I look forward to the
information that it will bring out. (However, if librarians are only
a part of the cancellation process, I hope that the questionnaire
will be addressed to the academics and others who also share
responsibility for these decisions.)

I have an important question about the structure of the
questionnaire. Pages 2, 3, 4, 6 are qualified by statements "If you
think X is a cancellation factor..." whereas the delayed access
embargo question (page 5) has no such qualification (how short does
an embargo have to be before you feel that a separate subscription is
unnecessary). Embargoes are a contentious part of the Open Access
landscape at the moment, so it is unfortunate that the questionnaire
in its current form is simply begging the question it is apparently
attempting to answer.

Also, the key Open Access question (Q19 If you do NOT consider the
immediate free availability of content on open access archives a good
reason in itself to cancel a journal, why not?) may be accidentally
skipped over, due to the respondents' experience from pages 2 & 3 of
skipping to the next page to find the next relevant question.
Certainly, I missed out those crucial questions on my first run
through the questionnaire, and I was looking for them! Perhaps you
could simply add the further instruction "if not, proceed to question
19 *at the bottom of this page*" at the top of the page.
---
Les Carr