[OAI-eprints] Re: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives

Radu radu@monicsoft.net
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:08:22 -0500

Quoting Christopher Gutteridge <cjg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>:

> What I'm asking is; has anyone given consideration to ways
> of smoothing over this duplication of effort? Possibly some
> negotiated automated process for insitutional archives
> uploading to the subject archive, or at least
> assisting the author in the process.

If peer-to-peer 'open' music sharing software like Napster and the
like managed to get set up so quickly and be so successful, I wonder
what the problem is within the academic circles.

Is it the inertia of 'researching the best standard'? Why don't we
simply adopt one of the successful models already at work in
the 'fringe industry'?

Why do we have to develop yet another standard?
- Is it for the sake of credit? Think about it. Are citations a good
measure of credit? When you cite an article that simply describes
someone else's work, who gets the credit? How far can one follow back
the syntopical chain of citations? Just because a paper is cited a
lot does it mean it's influential or plain wrong and lots of people
jumped in the water to retrieve the stick?
- Because of reliability? That would be solved by someone investing
in some servers that will be always up and which will selectively
duplicate the works which get good 'marks' from their users.

Make the system 'credit-based', allow the researchers to just place
the work they want to make public on dedicated machines within their
Universities and other research venues.

 And please:
- stop creating all-new standards. Before you start standardization,
look around and see if the same functionality is not already
available.
- stop fragmenting the digital world into exclusivist 'servers'
and 'services'. Are we striving for open or closed access?
- stop looking for the 'final ontology' for classifying stuff. The
world is not perfect. People are not perfect. And good
indexing/search facilities are more efficient than any ontology.

I could dig up references for most of my assertions, but I bet most
of you are already aware of them.

We just need access to each-other's work, so that our ideas grow in
the fertile land of other minds.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)