[OAI-eprints] Re: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives

Thomas Krichel krichel@openlib.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:52:50 +0200

  Radu writes

> Not never mind, because this is a very important point. Disciplines
> are made out of individuals who share (or assume they share), a
> specific body of knowledge.
>
> Yes, individuals should do it, but individuals have enough of a hard
> time doing the research and writing the paper. If you give them yet
> another set of tasks to put their papers online, just for the sake of
> others, with no recognition... they simply won't do it.

  Could not agree more. Therefore you have to create incentives.
  They can only come from with a discipline.

> Right now I'm working with Marie-Odile Junker at Carleton University,
> Ottawa, Canada on online documenting the Cree language (an aboriginal
> American couple of dialects). And she's upset that though this effort
> took much more resources than writing a dozen of scholarly journal
> papers, the University does not give her any publication-related
> bonus. THAT is the reason the 'disciplines' have to be made aware of
> the power of open distribution.

  Could not agree more! Exactly my situation, as the originator
  of RePEc, within the econemics community. But times will be
  changing. The whole paper-area publish or perish system
  will change, over time.

  With greetings from Minsk, Belarus,

  Thomas Krichel                         http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                     RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel