[OAI-eprints] Quality Assurance Mechanisms for Scholarship *Before* Publication

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Jul 27 14:33:08 EDT 2003

             Quality Assurance Mechanisms for Scholarship *Before*
Publication

  For a forthcoming PowerPoint article,  I am greatly interested in
learning about Any and All Quality Assurance Mechanisms for Scholarship
*Before* Publication. The mechanisms that come to mind at this time
are:

Personal Reputation
Institutional Review
Pride
Self-Respect
Professional Respect
Peer Pressure
"Critical Peer Response"
Invisible College
Self-Archiving-Process-Itself
Open Access
Common Sense
Self-Correcting Dynamics

[I recognize that many of these concepts are/may be considered
synonymous, similar, and indeed overlapping.]

   An articulation of few of the mechanism can be found in the thread

"Publication at LANL as involving peer review" in the
American-Scientist-E-PRINT-Forum
(e.g.,  http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0336.html
).

   An excellent statement of the Institutional Review concept is the
"Guild Model" articulated by
the late ROB KLING, LISA SPECTOR, and GEOFF McKIM in the _Journal of
Electronic of Electronic Publishing_ [
http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/08-01/kling.html].

  As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, comments, critiques,
Cosmic Insights, or 'Critical Peer Responses' or Assurance Concepts
are
Most Welcome!

   I am particularly interested in the SELF-ARCHIVING-PROCESS-ITSELF
as
an assurance enhancing mechanism, namely the effect/affect on the
quality of one's scholarship by the process of making one's
scholarship
more visible and accessible, with the concurrent potential of greater
impact.

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan