[OAI-eprints] Instructional Materials Repositories

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue Jul 8 13:55:36 EDT 2003

                                 Instructional Materials Repositories

     I am greatly interested in learning of Any and All efforts or plans by libraries/librarians
in establishing or contributing to an Instructional Materials Repository such as
DLIST [ http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/information.html] or to one that has been/will be established
locally using the GNU EPrints archive-creating software [ http://www.eprints.org/software.php ]
or similar software package.

NOTE: The GNU EPrints software is widely used to create e-print repositories
[ http://www.eprints.org/ ] in standard document formats (e.g., .doc, pdf, .ps) but can  also 'archive' a variety of other formats (e.g., PPT, etc.).

   While most institutional repositories in general 'archive' primarily  traditional  publications/pre-publications/presentations, DLIST in particular explicitly notes a focus on Instructional and Help Materials and Pathfinders as well [ http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/information.html#Materials ]

   While I am aware of the LOEX Clearinghouse for Library Instruction

              [ http://www.emich.edu/public/loex/loex.html ],

its Collections  [ http://www.emich.edu/public/loex/collect/collect.htm ] are but a fraction of relevant library instruction resources that exit electronically. A deposit of instructional materials in a centralized repository such as DLIST [ http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/information.html]  ] would enable material to be indexed and/or at least categoried for subsequent browsing or searching.

  As Always, Any and All Contributions, Suggestions, Questions, Queries, Comments or Cosmic Insights are Most Welcome!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Deposited Librarian
Iowa State University