[OAI-eprints] An Introduction to Open Access for Librarians / Peter Suber

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck@iastate.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:24:58 -0600

                      " Removing the Barriers to Research:
             An Introduction to Open Access for Librarians"
       Peter Suber, Philosophy Department, Earlham College

    For those unfamiliar with the Free Online Scholarship / Open Access
movements, Peter Suber, one of the most active members of The Cause,
has prepared an excellent, succinct review and Introduction to Open Access =
for Librarians

_College & Research Libraries News_ 64 (February 2003) pp. 92-94, 113.

         [  http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/acrl.htm ]

"The benefit of open access to libraries is solving the pricing and =
permission crises. The benefit to scholars, beyond the benefit to =
libraries, is giving readers barrier-free access to the literature they =
need, and giving authors larger audiences and greater impact. Because the =
benefits on both sides are immense, librarians and scholars should work =
together to bring open access, step by step, to every institution and =
discipline."

BTW: This May be the Most Important Article You Read This Year [Seriously]

<Self-Promotion>
   I can not resist the opportunity to promote a three-part series I am =
currently preparing for _Library Hi Tech News_
  [ www.emeraldinsight.com/rpsv/lhtn.htm ] on "Scholar-based Innovations =
in  Publishing". The first part in the series is devoted to Individual and =
Institutional initiatives, the second profiles Library and Professional =
efforts, while the third will describe Organizational and National =
efforts. I expect the first part of the series to be published in a LHTN =
Spring issue.
</Self-Promotion>

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Open Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu=20

"An old tradition and a new technology have converged to make possible an =
unprecedented public good."
                       Budapest Open Access Initiative

CHMINF-L Archives (also to join or leave CHMINF-L, etc.)
http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html=20
Search the CHMINF-L archives at:
http://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=3Dchminf-l=20
Sponsors of CHMINF-L: