[OAI-eprints] Introducing the Subject Categorization discussion

Jessie Hey jmnh@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:30:40 +0000

--=====================_957143859==.ALT

For completeness, Here is another comment on classification from Guy Aron
stemming from our discussion.
Jessie

>ReSent-Subject: Re: Interoperability - subject classification/terminology
>Date:         Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:39:13 +0000
>Sender: September 1998 American Scientist Forum
>               <SEPTEMBER98-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
>From: Guy Aron <guyaron@yahoo.com.au>
>Subject:      Re: Interoperability - subject classification/terminology
>To: SEPTEMBER98-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
>
>On Wednesday 15 Steve Hitchcock wrote
> > [ ... ]Full text indexing can begin to tell us what a
> > text is *about*, rather than simply where it is located, the classical
> > purpose of classification. Through knowing what a text is about, we can
> > make connections with other works in ways that are much more flexible than
> > is offered by classification.
>
>I don't know that I quite go along with this. If I classify a book in
>the 330s in Dewey, this tells us more than that the book is in the 330s -
>it tells us that the book belongs in that class. A classification number
>is more than just "marking and parking", eg Shelf 20, Row 2. To me the
>"classical purpose" of classification is to group similar things together.
>This grouping has to be based on some analysis of what topics the thing
>covers (or, in Dewey, the discipline from which it emanated).
>
>Guy Aron
>RMIT University Library

~~~~~~~~
Jessie M.N. Hey
Research Fellow TARDIS eprints project,
NOL, University of Southampton Waterfront Campus, European Way,
Southampton, SO14 3ZH, England
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6112  Fax +44 (0)23 8059 6115
  http://tardis.eprints.org/

For completeness, Here is another comment on classification from Guy Aron
stemming from our discussion.<br>
Jessie<br><br>
Interoperability - subject classification/terminology<br>
Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thu, 16 Jan 2003
22:39:13 +0000<br>