[OAI-eprints] Re: [OAI-general] The self-archiving sweepstakes

Tom Abeles tabeles@attglobal.net
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:28:56 -0600

Harnad's observation is interesting if the prime reason for publishing were to
share with colleagues. Unfortunately this ideal gets distorted by the myriad of
reasons to publish or even not to publish, regardless of the disciplines. And, as
an aside, the reasons can vary across disciplines, institutions and faculty. Aye,
there's the rub.

As Harnad points out, the technical achievements may not be the barrier at hand,
nor may it be entirely the problems with the publishers.

Perhaps some of the issues come to light when one reads the article, Taking on
Rational Man, which appeared in the January 24th issue of The Chronicle of Higher
Education where the battle lines are drawn between neoclassical economists and
heterodox thinking- and who controls the publishing resources.

thoughts?

tom abeles