[OAI-eprints] Open Access Provision Policy

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 08:45:27 EST 2003

The following excellent article from the Open Access Newsletter is by
Peter Suber. It is about what we should probably begin to call "Open
Access Provision" Policy for Universities and Research Funders. I have
added some supplementary references at the end. -- SH

> [By: Peter Suber http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/12-02-03.htm ]
> Objection-reply: Whether OA-promoting policies must "wait until the
> infrastructure is ready"
>
> There are large reasons to launch open-access journals and archives. But
> here's a smaller one that might be overlooked in the discussion of the
> larger ones.
>
> Some institutions that support OA are torn by the decision whether to go
> beyond encouraging it to requiring it. For example:
>
> * Funding agencies might want to require OA to the results of the research
> they fund.
>
> * Legislatures might want to require OA to the results of the research
> funded by taxpayers.
>
> * Universities might want to require that faculty (especially those
> undergoing promotion and tenure review) deposit their research articles in
> the institution's OA repository or archive.
>
> I've been in several conversations with funders and university
> administrators who are considering these steps. One objection that always
> comes up is that the OA infrastructure isn't ready. "We can't require
> OA," the argument goes, "or even encourage it very strongly until the
> OA infrastructure can accommodate the resulting flood of literature."
>
> In responding to this objection, let's first distinguish the archive
> infrastructure from the journal infrastructure.
>
> The archive infrastructure is either ready or very close. There's ample
> unused capacity, and archives scale up without problem. But even if there
> aren't enough archives to hold *all* the literature that would flow toward
> them if governments, foundations, and universities began to require OA,
> they are inexpensive and easy to launch. If major institutions adopted
> policies encouraging or requiring deposit in an OA archive, you can be
> sure that more than enough universities, libraries, labs, departments, and
> private researchers would launch new archives before the week was over.
>
> Moreover, funding agencies should appreciate that they can host their own
> archives. Last month, for example, the US Environmental Protection Agency
> (EPA) launched its own archive, Science Inventory, to hold EPA-funded
> data and research papers. Even if all these files could be archived in
> various institutional and disciplinary repositories outside the EPA, using
> its own archive lets EPA monitor compliance with its OA requirement,
> facilitate discovery and retrieval, assure long-term preservation,
> and of course guarantee the sufficiency of the infrastructure.
>
> The journal infrastructure is different. When foundations and legislatures
> worry about insufficient infrastructure, they're really worrying about OA
> journals. This is clear from their conversation. It's important to respond
> to this worry about journals with two very different considerations.
>
> First, it's true that there aren't enough OA journals. We should have
> [...]

Supplementary references (added by S.H.)

Harnad, S. (2001) "Research access, impact and assessment." Times Higher Education
Supplement 1487: p. 16.
http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/16/83/index.html

Harnad, S. (2003) Measuring and Maximising UK Research Impact. Times Higher
Education Supplement. Friday, June 6 2003.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/thes.html

Harnad, S., Carr, L., Brody, T. & Oppenheim, C. (2003) Mandated online
RAE CVs Linked to University Eprint Archives: Improving the UK Research
Assessment Exercise whilst making it cheaper and easier.
Ariadne.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/Ariadne-RAE.htm

"Draft Policy for Self-Archiving University Research Output"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2549.html
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/archpolnew.html

"On the Need to Take Both Roads to Open Access"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2995.html

"The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3147.html

"Re: Bethesda statement on open access publishing"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2878.html

"Norway: Open Online Access to Research"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3172.html

"Berlin Declaration on Open Access"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3091.html

"Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2977.html

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Post discussion to: september98-forum at amsci-forum.amsci.org

Dual Open-Access-Provision Strategy: