[CoDeP] Betham editorial board

Moira Ann Gunn gunn at usfca.edu
Fri Dec 9 19:30:30 UTC 2016

Hi-

I know the editors, and they are highly professional and well-respected. I
believe they went with Bentham because they wanted to start a journal and
they didn't want to have to publish it themselves.

My experience in submitting articles - the first article's response from
the peer reviewer was devastating - called for a major rewrite - not all of
the comments were acceptable to me, but the majority made it a much better
paper. I spent a solid 40 hours revising, which I hadn't planned on
spending.

They asked me on the review board, which I did - this is an area that is
not easy to find journals for. I reviewed one article, and recommended
REJECT - while it could have been viable, it was badly written and I
thought there might be a conflict of interest between one of the authors
and the subject matter.  They rejected it.

I do know that when you submit, that you are asked for reviewers (which I
hate, but I'm beginning to see a lot of), and they ask if you want to pay
for open access (just like PLOS) but you don't have to, and they offer
services for re-doing your graphics (which I rejected) - they asked again
after it was accepted about paying for services.

They wanted to charge for color (like Science) and I said no, but when it
went up in the journal, it was in color. I got 5 free copies of my article,
and within a year, the article was free anyway.

If it wasn't for the editors of the journal that I eventually came to know,
I wouldn't have joined the board.

Anything predatory here that I don't know about?

Moira