[cgiapp] CGI::Application or Dancer2, Mojolicious et similar

max.augsburg at gmx.de max.augsburg at gmx.de
Fri Aug 26 05:54:40 EDT 2016

Dear everybody,

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you all very much for your answers. I am a little bit sad that the main answers seems not see CGI Application as an a up-to-date alternative for programming web applications at the moment. But of course the development tools in perl has to go forward. For me I will start now first with learning CGI (I bought the o'reilly book CGI Programming with Perl). I know that the CGI module is for many people also not an up-to-date solution any more and it was deleted for this reason from the core modules. But for me as a beginner in this topic I think it could be helpful to understand the more modern interfaces later (like psgi or plack) or the modern frameworks. Furthermore almost every hosting providers support the CGI interface so that deploying is much more easy than with the more modern frameworks (although there seems to be a solution to deploy them as CGI). Last but not least is the core of CGI still maintained (except the html functions that I do not use) and over the years very well tested and important Perl flagships as Foswiki use it, too.

Perhaps later if I am a little bit more experienced with the CGI interface and the CGI module I could help to modernise CGI::Application but at the moment I have unfortunately still not the capability for that.

>From the modern frameworks I would prefer Catalyst at the moment because it is well documented ( I always like learning with books) and the syntax is for my taste the more perlish compared to Dancer2 and Mojolicious. But I havn't devoted myself very much to it because for my purposes the modern frameworks feel like an overkill..

Again thank you very much for your help,

Max