[cgiapp] spam email I just received, referencing the Examples wiki page

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Mon May 14 22:13:47 EDT 2012

Hi Mark

On 15/05/12 11:49, Mark Rajcok wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just received this spam to my inbox:

What was the Subject?

> ----------------
> Hi Mark,
>
> I am curious if you are the person responsible for adding content to the
> following page: cgi-app.org/index.cgi?Examples
>
> If not, feel free to forward me on to the correct person! I came across
> your page during my research for a project for which I am contributor. It
> is a research project that examines how biology has evolved from being a
> scientific study into a practice that has the power to affect global change
> for the better. The recently completed resource offers articles with an
> insightful look for anyone considering or currently in the biology field.
>
> I would love to send over more details about this project and partner with
> you, let me know!
>
> Thanks for your time. I look forward to working with you!
> Madison
>
> We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a
> habit. - Aristotle
> -----------------
>
> I'm suspecting that someone modified the Examples page with a link to a
> site with malicious content.
> Looking at the source for the Examples page (yeah, I probably shouldn't
> have loaded that page in my browser, as it could have been modified to
> contain some malicious javascript), one link that looked possibly
> suspicious is the following:

> http://genomebiology.com/2006/7/7/R56">scientific article</a></u>, by Remo
> Sanges</li>
>
> Note that I modified the first link and added "--123" to it, so that if it
> is a bad site, and someone clicks on that link someday, it won't go to the
> bad site.
>
> I'm curious to know if any else receives/ed this email.
> I did not want to reload the page and check the change history to see when
> the link to sce.html was added.

It's certainly not obvious why you were chosen to receive this email,
and that makes me suspicious.

genomebiology.com looks legit.

tigem.it does too.

I searched using 'Search for $X', not just $X.

If the email had said: Can I add a link, since we use CGI::App?, I'd be
happier. But the text actually used leaves me a bit uneasy.

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622