[cgiapp] app authorization patterns, best practices?

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Fri Mar 23 21:05:43 EDT 2012

> I have some questions regarding best practices when implementing
> role based access control (RBAC). I have been playing with
> CApp::Authentication and Authorization, and they both do basically
> what I need.

*** Me too.  I have three sub-businesses.  Let's call them A, B, C.  I
want to have access to all of it, but I want my managers to only have
access to
their particular piece.

    Here's more or less how I did it.  BTW, it recently broke for unknown
reason, and I havent' gotten around to troubleshooting.

   CApp:Authentication has a notion of "drivers".  I wrote a multi-DB
driver that can look in a set of authentication databases.  I have a
"users"
mysql database at my global level, and another "users" database in each
subbusiness.  When somebody attempts to log in, the multi-auth driver
tries each database in turn.  If it successfully authenticates against the
"global" database, that user has privs for all the sub-businesses.

   Each line in the "users" database has a set of "permissions" flags,
which correspond to things seeming to permission as I coded.  In line
with the code are statements in the form if( getpriv( user, business
)){}.  That way, I have a permissions system with much finer
granularity than Capp::Authorization, which I do not use at all.

                               - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry at tr2.com )