[cgiapp] Possible non-spam

Rhesa Rozendaal perl at rhesa.com
Thu Dec 8 14:44:11 EST 2011

On 12/08/2011 08:33 PM, Ron Savage wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I received, via the list, a msg with these headers (among other headers,
> I assume):
>
> Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:31:24 -0500 (EST)
> From: =?utf-8?Q?Nic=20Zero=20?=<niczero at wow.com>
> Subject: [cgiapp] =?utf-8?q?Closing_the_wiki?=
>
> The Subject makes me think it might not be spam, but my spam detector
> thought it was and /automatically/ deleted it off the mail server, due
> to the junk in the Subject.
>
> If it isn't spam, there are 2 ways to go:
>
> o Change my spam detector to whitelist [cgiapp] in the Subject.
>
> o Persuade the sender to use a different email client, or whatever is
> required to send cleaner emails.

There's nothing wrong with those headers, they just indicate utf-8
encoded text. Oh wait, http://rjbs.manxome.org/rubric/entry/1925 :)

> Any (polite) suggestions?

Just get a better spam filter. Asking the rest of the world to
accommodate your filter is futile. FWIW, I use bogofilter, and haven't
had a false positive in many, many years now.

rhesa