[cgiapp] REST tunneling in CGI::Application::Dispatch

Timothy Appnel tim at appnel.com
Thu May 19 17:37:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> wrote:

> I like the idea having the REST functionality available through a
> plugin, and Jaldhar's functionality looks fairly complete, including
> tunneling, although that's a bit hard to discover now.

While I am a proponent of plugins in general I'm not sure about that
here. It's just practical and making things more difficult than they
need to be based on principal. Perhaps I'm missing something some
significant benefit I'm missing.

CAD has REST functionality already. So it made sense to make what is a
minor extension to that because it was the most practical and the path
of least resistance. I also believe that REST tunneling is a
dispatching function, not an app one.

I don't want to have to load an app class just to figure out if it
which run mode I need to call. That makes writing efficient code and
managing an app with hundreds of potential run modes -- like say
Melody -- a messy affair.

I just don't get the logic behind this proposal and need to be
convinced otherwise.

<tim/>

--
Timothy Appnel