[cgiapp] profiling

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:54:03 EDT 2010

In year's gone by, one could profile the execution performance of
a C program by instrumenting it at compile time for the purposes of
using prof(1) or gprof(1) subsequently to get run time statistics.

I have found DProf.pm and DProfPP.pm on CPAN (thanks Ron!) which it
seems is a comparable solution for Perl scripts at the command line.

What I am wondering about is this: is there a way to profile a CGI
Application script given that doing same from the command line is
problematical, if not impossible?

I recall the way that prof or gprof worked was by sticking a statement
or an instruction before or after each procedure so that a bucket for
that procedure was timestamped and the count increased for that bucket
(for that procedure) - all this based on the program runtime stack.

Later you would run prof or gprof and you would get simple statistics
such as which procedures took the most time, etc.

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|