[cgiapp] CGI::Session

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Thu Oct 14 18:18:15 EDT 2010

Hi Nicholas, Jason

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 13:04 -0500, Jason A. Crome wrote:
> It wasn't an attempt to restart development, I was no longer in a
> position to host the repo, so I moved it to github.  People who were
> maintainers and developers before still are.

Yep.

> That being said, I don't know why a release hasn't been made,
> especially given how worthwhile some of the recent changes Ron has
> made seem to be.

Mark refuses to release until I make changes he insists on.

The ostensible reason (as I understand it) is to do with auto-flushing
or not when the object is destroyed. This is just another example of
obsession with control.

My policy is that no user should be /forced/ to execute an explicit
flush just before the object goes out of scope.

The current code of sub DESTROY() doing a flush is fine as a default.

In some cases, e.g. under Plack, the object (really the app) doesn't go
out of scope when the app exits, and the user must use flush. But I
don't accept that that is a reason to force all non-Plack uses to call
flush. It simply doesn't make any sense.

But as I've explained, that's all a red herring of horrendous
complexity, and involves deeply personal matters.

I'm suggesting the real matter should be dealt with in a (private)
manner which does not sabotage release of past, present and future
patches.

The current situation punishes everyone using the current CPAN version,
which is the officially-released version, since we know many people work
in orgs which will not condone installing from a remote svn or git etc
repository.

It's incredibly frustrating and infuriating that upgrades are being
denied these people, and (it should not matter, but ...) I don't wish to
be indirectly framed for having contributed to this situation, just by
being associated with coding on this module.

> I'd like to help but have never been considered either a maintainer or
> developer or CGI::Session, and I have no authority to release updates.

Mark won't give me co-main power. I suppose I could request it directly
from CPAN admins. They might agree.

Obviously it does not matter who gains release-capability. It can be
anyone on earth, as long as they release patches in a timely fashion.

In other words, I'm not precipitating a crisis just to get control over
CGI::Session. That would be simply yet another obsession with
control :-).

> I know this doesn't help, but I wanted to provide a little background.

It helps a bit.

Actually, anything and everything which give people information (on
which to base decisions pertaining to their own lives) helps.

It's the exact opposite of life under people who operate dictatorships,
which are all based on fanatical attempts to maintain control.

In each and every case, the real issue is control of their emotions, but
which manifests as control over the people in their environment, via
Projection of their issues out into the world.

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622