[cgiapp] Why perl lost steam...

Bill Stephenson bills at ezinvoice.com
Tue Sep 21 19:20:40 EDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 12:57 AM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> Looking at job statistics and activity in all the "web related" Perl
> projects I think it's more a matter of this list being spectacularly
> badly named.

That may be true. Jann Linder used to host and moderate an active CGI
mailing list and I really enjoyed the community involved with it. Now,
at www.perl.org there is no list described as devoted to CGI except
this "Beginners" list. I'm not really a perl/cgi beginner, but I am far
from being a perl/cgi expert too.

The CGI-App list is for the Framework it's named after and doesn't
cover perl/cgi.

But this list is not the only one that's seen an active community
evaporate. the MacOSX list did as well and it's not because it was
poorly named. I miss these once active communities. I enjoyed the
banter, the questions, the answers, and the occasions when I could
help.

Personally, I think there was a pervasive trend a few years ago to
write the shortest line of code, as opposed to the most human readable,
and this is why perl code is now often considered obfuscated, hard to
write, and even obsolete for most cgi (web) apps.

But perl code does not have to be any of those. Perl code can be easy
to read, follow, and change. It's just a matter of style.

It might also have to do with a trend towards using an SQL database to
store and retrieve date for web apps. I never jumped on that bandwagon
either. I figured that storage would get cheaper and faster and so
would processing power, so the efficiencies of database engines like
MySQL would become less attractive than less complex methods like using
CGI.pm's built-in "save" and "new" routines to store and load data. PHP
may make it easier to deal with that, I don't really know, I never
wanted to learn SQL, but the glances I've taken at PHP seem to indicate
that is the main point behind it.

I'd offer that Perl became popular because it offered easy ways to get
web stuff done, but a small, vocal part of the community seemed to
embrace and promote complexity and actively chased away those who
didn't embrace it with them. That could be wrong, but something
certainly happened here.

It would seem that if the above is true than the way to fix the problem
is to spend some time focusing on what made perl popular in the first
place.

CGI::App is a great framework and it offers a lot to experienced perl
coders who are creating large, complex, applications. But perhaps some
work on smaller apps, for smaller businesses, would be appropriate too.

With that in mind, "Boulder" is interesting:

http://search.cpan.org/~lds/Boulder-1.30/Boulder.pod

I think I want to play with that a bit. It looks like it may offer some
usefulness for creating small web apps that don't need the heavy
lifting afforded by SQL database engines.

Bill Stephenson