[cgiapp] Progress Bar

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Mon Sep 6 13:18:17 EDT 2010

> There was a brief discussion of something vaguely related at
> http://lists.openlib.org/pipermail/cgiapp/2010q2/002160.html

*** Thanks, Nic!

   They're using a caching library to feed chunks to a browser.
I'm leaning more toward using an SQL table with unique download IDs and
progress numbers.   My main script would update the table as it did the
upload, and the javascript on the browser would make periodic requests to
a small standalone CGI script that reads the table, and just upchucks the
current percentage.

  The table entry would be deleted when the download is done - that way, the
table wouldn't get huge.  Meanwhile, if the CGI gets a request for a
nonexistant entry, the answer is "100%" :).

  I need to work out the details of starting up the upload.  I found a
really simple javascript progress bar at:

http://www.redips.net/javascript/ajax-progress-bar/.

                           - Jerry Kaidor