[cgiapp] use persisten instance of cgiapp with cgi::fast?

Rhesa Rozendaal perl at rhesa.com
Wed Sep 1 13:34:13 EDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 06:49 PM, Mark Rajcok wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Mike Tonks<fluffymike at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Thanks for this Mark.
>> I am about to embark on an upgrade from vanilla CGI::App to either
>> mod_perl or FastCGI and will read this with interest.
>>
>> Given we are using a dedicated server and just want things to run as
>> fast as possible, is there anything to choose between the two?  Seems
>> like more people have mentioned FastCGI here recently than mod_perl?
>
> Well, one thing I like about FastCGI over mod_perl is that your Perl
> program can't crash the apache web server with it, since it runs as a
> separate process.  If you have a dedicated server with only one
> program running on it, this won't matter -- whether just your app goes
> down or your server goes down with it, the app is unavailable to the
> end user.

I doubt you'll bring the whole apache down with a cgi app. A single child
process, maybe, but that's not a big deal.

FWIW, we've been using mod_perl for ages, and are very happy with it. It's
solid, it's simple to admin, and it's fast. Adding a separate daemon seems
like an admin and monitoring burden to me, and since there's IPC involved, it
doesn't feel to me as robust as mod_perl. YMMV.

rhesa