[cgiapp] Form validation

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Mon Jul 26 17:42:17 EDT 2010

Hi William

I'm copying this to the CGI::App list. Hope you don't mind...

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 15:07 -0400, William Bulley wrote:
> I am seeing some traffic on the CGIAPP mailing list about data/form
> validation.  You have spoken highly about Data::Verifier yet you are
> now switching (?) to Brannigan.pm and others are praising the older
> Data::FormValidator - so which is the best one to use (asked by me,
> who is clueless, as you are aware...)?   :-)

Here's a quick-n-dirty summary:

Data::FormValidator:
- Quite good
- Very complex and long-winded to set up, in that sophisticated
processing requires closures, and makes debugging also more complex
- I used it for a long time
- Superseded IMHO

Data::Verifier:
- Extremely good
- Uses Moose, hence heavy-weight
- Usage of Moose doesn't offer any real advantages over Brannigan unless
you are testing if object belong to a class. It does have built-in
support for Moose's types, if that matters. It doesn't to me.
- I also used this successfully

Brannigan:
- Extremely good
- Very light-weight
- I pass data thru CGI::Untaint first which, really, we all should be
doing.

*:
- There are many, many other validation modules, most of which are
more-or-less tied to CGI form validation

What may sway you is if a module ties in with HTML::FillInForm. That
doesn't sway me.

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622