[cgiapp] Incompatibility between CAP::Authentication and CAP::ActionDispatch

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Mon Jun 7 19:01:03 EDT 2010

Hi Nicholas

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 10:52 +0100, Nicholas Bamber wrote:
> I've uploaded 0.17_5 which has the ActionDispatch fix and hopefully
> should run fine without ActionDispatch being installed.

No comment, since I don't do things that way.

> The question Christian raises about Dispatch is interesting. As
> Christian points out I am not a fan of setting up run modes by setting
> subroutine attributes. I can see that it makes the code look nice but I
> do not see what the practical benefits are.

This is certainly worth discussing.

I don't like adding attributes to subs, either.

I assume that if there is just 1 type of user, there isn't much need to
do this, but when you have 2 types, say user and admin, then it becomes
appealing.

But to me the complexity outweights the benefits. I achieve the same
effect by sub-classing.

Of course, I end up with 2 apps, which I run via 2 ports, e.g.
http://127.0.0.1:5012 and http://127.0.0.1:5013.

I do understand that attrs per sub means you can get the client to log
in as a user or as an admin, and hence use the same code, but I can't
help feeling (from the code I've studied) that this leads to convoluted
logic elsewhere.

Comments?

http://savage.net.au/
Ph: 0421 920 622