[cgiapp] Internationalization with Locale::Maketext

Cees Hek ceeshek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 00:43:09 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Jerry Kaidor <jerry at tr2.com> wrote:
> Jani-Hur wrote
>
>> I'm new to web programming. Thanks to economical turmoil I've plenty of
>> free time
>
> *** I've been meaning to write an intro post myself.  Like in the AA
> meetings:
>
>   "My name is Jerry Kaidor, and I'm a programmer..."
>
>   Well, I used to be a programmer.  Did it for a living for 20 years.
> Mostly embedded systems, networking equipment, lots of C and assembler.

Hi Jerry,

Looks like your post got buried inside this thread :)

>  I would like to ultimately wind up with an MVC organization.  But it
> seems to be too much work to rebuild the whole thing from scratch as a
> new project.   For now, I am using CGI::Application to strip out the
> giant if-elsif statements for the CGI state machines.  It's a major
> change.  So today's sub project is to get the whole mess under source
> code control.  For a one-man project I don't need anything fancy, so
> will just use CVS.

Looks like you are the right track in refactoring your code.
Replacing the old-school giant if/else block with a proper dispatch
solution like CGI::application is definitely the right move.

As for source code control, might I suggest subversion over CVS.  They
use the same basic underlying principles but subversion seems to be
much more mature and robust (although I haven't looked at CVS in over
10 years, so perhaps things have changed for the better).  Also, a lot
of people swear by 'git' so it would be worth a look as well.

Good luck in your endeavors...

Cheers,

Cees Hek