[cgiapp] Dancer, URIs, and Web Apps

Bill Stephenson bills at ezinvoice.com
Sat Mar 6 15:33:37 EST 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:22 AM, P Kishor wrote:

> It would be nice though if I can email something like
>
>   http://www.google.com/maps?q=my-work-place
>
> instead of
>

> http://www.google.com/maps?
> f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1630+linden+drive,+madison,+wi&sll=43.0
> 6685,
> -89.408949&sspn=0.009139,0.016973&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1630+Linden+Dr,+Mad
> ison,+Dane,+Wisconsin+53706&ll=43.075244,
> -89.412714&spn=0.004569,0.008487&z=17
>
> which is easily accomplished by just storing the latter in a db table
> and giving it a name, so you can have named queries.

Puneet, you're very kind, and as you know, I've sort of created my own
approach to building web apps, so it's not surprising when anyone
disagrees with me ;)

Your example illustrates the point of why coders work to clean up URLs
very well. I agree, that's an ugly URL and I've seen a bunch like it
and for way too long now.

But I believe this really exposes a lack on the part of the software
used to view these links. If the client rendered it as a button it
would be much cleaner for everyone. Adding something like &button="View
Map" to a URI is all it should take on our part, if anything.

The "WebKit" project works to extend support for things like that and
I'm excited to see the added support for web apps. When I started my
little web app over ten years ago I felt like a third world citizen. I
wasn't allowed to put anything on the clients desk or pick anything up
without asking, every single time they or I wanted to do either. In
fact, I originally built my little app to run on a single iMac for a
small business owner. It ran in the web browser using the built-in web
server and perl and this allowed me to overcome some of those limits
(the "Go Back" button was still there though).

When I discovered I could "Script the DOM" I quit doing multi-page
forms according the examples in the CGI docs and instead loaded them
all into one screen that hid and showed layers. This alone saved at
least four calls to the server each time a user made a document, and it
made it much easier and faster for the user to get their work done.
With the new features in HTML 5 I will be able to let the user store
data on the client side too and sync it up later. All I have to do is
add a couple buttons and some JS to do that. CGI::App might provide
shortcuts to do that. It seems logical to me.

Web apps will still have huge limits placed on them as compared to
native apps. But this is changing. As web app developers, we are
getting a little room on the clients desktop with HTML 5 and Apple
provides access to some of the other tools that reside there too, this
is not a small change.

And it brings up the question, "How do I want to access them?"

Having individual toolboxes for the all the different parts is one way
to approach it. In my view, one tool to work with HTML and CSS makes
sense. One tool that integrates the server and client side coding does
too. They are all pillars for the same overarching framework and that
needs consideration when moving forward with how any of them are
constructed and when integration of tools improves productivity it
makes sense.

Kindest Regards,

--
Bill Stephenson