[cgiapp] Dancer, URIs, and Web Apps

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Fri Mar 5 17:51:49 EST 2010

Hi Bill

On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 12:54 -0600, Bill Stephenson wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:36 PM, P Kishor wrote:
>
> > 5. clean URIs (routes) without screwing around with bazillion settings
>
> To me, this seems to be more of a current programming fad than a real
> user issue. I've never had a single user complain that long or ugly
> URIs bothered them.
>
> If hiding URLs from users is a design goal it also seems like it is
> easily solved by using AJAX to update content.

Structuring the URL translates directly in structuring the code (i.e.
code per module). This is turn translates to better designed code, e.g.
using the MVC style.

Rather the hiding anything, I think it's better to say the new attitude
is to emphasise the 'uniform' in URL, which may have been neglected or
under-appreciated by some in the past.

> All web app developers would do well to start implementing the
> techniques needed to take advantage of the features and accommodate the
> requirements of these devices and optimize their content for display on
> them.

More here http://diveintohtml5.org/table-of-contents.html

because HTML5 offers a range of very fancy features.

This url
http://www.onlinecomputerbooks.com/blog/free-online-book-dive-into-html5/
ultimately leads to the one above.

ron at savage.net.au