[cgiapp] Dancer

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Mar 2 13:38:15 EST 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:51:40 -0600
P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> following Mark Stosberg's email about PSGI, I decided to poke around a
> bit more, and landed up with Dancer. Color me very impressed.
>
> Seriously, I have seldom experienced such easy *everything*. Almost
> instant installation via 'sudo cpan Dancer', a simple 'dancer -a
> myapp', and I had a working, nice looking application framework [*]
> with nice URIs and ev'ryting.
>
> So, my question is thus -- how is Dancer different from CGI::App, and
> why should I use the latter instead of the former? I asked this not
> lightly because I have many years of experience invested in C::A, but
> Dancer truly shows how apps should be.

I had already looked at Dancer myself. As a result, you can see these
entries in the Dancer ChangeLog:

    * Security Fix: protection from CRLF injection in
      response headers (thanks to Mark Stosberg for the report).
    * Support for multi-valued params in GET/POST data (thanks to
      Mark Stosberg for the report).

So, in a short review, I found that it lacked support for multi-valued
params, and that it had a notable security hole. If you look into it
deeper, what else might you find?

I think it has some nice points, too, but it's not worth switching to
something so new from something proven from years of use to be stable
and reliable.