[cgiapp] Keep connection alive for request that takes long time to run

Shao, David (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] shaod at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Feb 10 10:38:00 EST 2010

Hi,

I use CGI::Application for my web app. The app sometimes takes longer to run than the timeout limit set by the apache server, which results in a 'Bad Gateway' page at user side. My web admin suggested I need to implement something similar to 'heartbeat' to keep the connection alive. My interpretation to this is, while my app is running, it needs to send a 'keepalive' packet to the client in short intervals (i.e. shorter than the timeout limit), to prevent the server from dropping the connection. I am fairly new to CGI::Application, and my questions are if this feature already exists (but I can't find it in documentation), or if it is not, is it possible to implement using CGI::Application?

Thanks,
David