[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 18:55:09 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Joshua Miller <unrtst at gmail.com> wrote:
> And "using the best tool for the job" is a common and widespread belief that's
> difficult to disagree with,

My point is that "best" can be defined different ways. David
enumerated the problems he was trying to solve. Those might be best
improved using more mainstream collaboration (wiki, forum) tools.

Others have seen this as an opportunity to showcase C::A (even if the
result is featureless and doesn't address David's goals). That's
"best" for them.

> It's about eating your own dog food.

But, even the dog-food manufacturers feed their dogs another brand of
dog food when their company doesn't make the best dog food for their
specific needs.

So, it's really about knowing what your needs are, the problem you're
trying to solve, and using the best tools. In fact, using a different
tool, while appearing to contradict a foolish obsession with
consistency could actually lead to greater effort to develop a tool
(instead of people talking about it forever).

What I'm hearing is a lot of people saying David should eat their dog
food. But, it's still going to be David dealing with a wiki that
doesn't have a lot of participation, cleaning up spam, etc.