[cgiapp] Future of the wiki

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:08:24 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Cees Hek <ceeshek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Mark Fuller <azfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mailing lists seem so 1990. I'd ditch it and go with a forum.
>
> A forum requires me to actively participate (ie go to the forum every
> day to see what is there).  A mailing list allows me to passively keep
> in touch since I check my email regularly throughout the day.  I don't
> read every message on the list, but I at least see the subjects and
> look at the stuff that interests me.
>
> I think switching to a forum would loose a lot of lurkers on this list...

Right. The old debate, and never the twain shall meet. Or, won't they?
There are some web based forums (and, if there aren't, we could build
one, hey!) that allow checking on the web, or subscribing to selected
threads or all threads so responses to threads also get emailed. Best
of both worlds. And, since they are designed for web-based consumption
as well, they have much nicer interface than, say, searching via
mailing list archives. On the other hand, tools such as nabble and
mark mail allow one to webify existing mailing lists, so we may not be
far off from a solution.

But, we digress... how about modernizing cgi-app and still retaining
its wiki-ness?

Puneet.