[cgiapp] More Kwiki work

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Jan 26 13:30:16 EST 2010

Hi Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * David Kaufman wrote:
 >
>> 2. Installed Kwiki::Diff so we can quickly see what was
>> changed, and (hopefully) change it back easily if it's spam.
>
> I'm not seeing this. How does one use it?

Yeah, Kwiki's default toolbar icons are kind of tiny and non-obvious
aren't they?

Click on the "Revisions" icon, at the bottom of each editable page, and
you'll be taken to the previous revision of that page.  The button looks
like a left-pointing arrow and is in the row of "toolbar icons" just to
the right of the search box (the next-to-last one, between the
paper-and-pencil "Edit" icon, and the RSS icon, that says "Revisions" in
the tooltip when you mouse over it).

2. Once you're looking at a previous revision, you'll see another new
button down there, this time on the far right, *after* the RSS icon,
called "Differences" (unhelpfully the icon just looks like a piece of
paper), along with some other new icons for navigating revisions (they
look like CD-player-style controls: Next, Previous, Last, etc.)

3. When you click on the "Differences" button, you get a nice
side-by-side, colorized diff of the source text of the old version,
compared to the next one after it, so you can identify exactly what was
changed.

4. You need to be "logged in" to restore an old version (or to edit
anything at all) so if you see "You are Anonymous" in the left column,
click the "Anonymous" link and enter your WikiName to become Un-nonymous.

5. Then, if you come across a spammed or otherwise defaced page, you can
simply navigate back to the old version of the page before it was
vandalized, press the edit button and hit Save (or Preview, then Save)
to revert the page to back to it's previously pristine and un-spammed
condition.

Thanks!

-dave