[cgiapp] CGI::App-based code and web servers

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Fri Aug 21 11:11:46 EDT 2009

Ron Savage writes:
 > Hi Folks
 >
 > I've had an email asking if I could somehow let one of my modules use
 > HTTP::Server::Simple where the user didn't want to, or couldn't, set up
 > a stand-alone web server such as Apache.
 >
 > Then I got to thinking: What are the alternatives to
 > HTTP::Server::Simple?
 >
 > And, what do people feel about these modules?

Well, H::T::S is the basis for these stand alone servers:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/CGI-Application-Server/

  http://search.cpan.org/~markstos/CGI-Application-Dispatch-Server-0.52/

(I think that all of the functionality of CADS has been rolled into
 CAS and that CADS is EOL (phew...)).

I use them for development and simple stuff.

They have the same persistence issues/features that you see with
mod_perl/fastcgi (you garbage doesn't miraculously disappear at the
end of each request when the cgi script exits) but they work fine.

g.