[cgiapp] CGI::Application Logo

Alex capfan at gmx.de
Sat Aug 8 17:46:52 EDT 2009

Hi!

I don't think that anyone who does such things like design as a professional
would consider the logo any good. No offense to the effort creating one, but
I would consider it an absolute failure.
I have to admit, and I think I'm not the only one, that I'm not able do it
any better. I such at designing things. But I would rather stick with the
old logo, than inventing something much more worse.

I think, when you proposed to make CA somewhat more visible to the world,
you didn't indent to trigger negative reaction because the image looks like
crap. Let's have a somewhat realistic look at the logo.

It uses three colors. Corflowerblue (I think it's the name of the
wannabe-blue in the background), red and yellow. The only purpose of these
colors is to distract the viewers eyes. They do, because the colors don't
stick together. It's like a car crash. It's damn ugly, but you can't look
away. Sure, a car crash causes attention, people probably will talk about
it, or even take a closer look. But the general intention is negative.

It was a football player who said, that the round thing must fit in the
square thing. But there isn't even a nice square thing. Omitting the blue
background would be a start. Then the need to put the read font on white
background for the CA lettering would not exists. Do you ever saw a
professional web page with red font color on white background? Did you ever
feel such thing would be easy to read? No (I hope). Even if there are error
messages on a webpage that have a red font color, they have a dark
background for the contrast. Mostly they don't use red, they use something
like orange, or #b42e33 or wine.

Then, what is the meaning of the round yellow-red thing? Are we related to
sun? Is there any reason why it is a round thing? Why don't just pick a
triangle? Or, totally unrelated to a plugin featuring framework, a puzzle
piece?

It's not that I simply want to arbitrary flame your approach. I wish I could
do it any better. I would spend you a new logo (for free, in mercy). But if
I would try to make a logo now, it would be done in paint and have a similar
look. I just really hope, that this logo won't make it to the official
representative logo of CA - or any log representing CA.

So *please*, don't use this logo. Use the old one instead. Let it look like
a machine, like a pluggable mechanism intended for use by geeks only. It's
not that bad. On the contrary, I find it (the old one) really good.

That's my (personal) opinion on the logo.
Regards, Alex