[cgiapp] [OT] Searching for a db of American Localities and Postcodes

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Fri Jul 10 02:08:04 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 19:14 -0700, Mark Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Ron Savage<ron at savage.net.au> wrote:
> > However, in a module I'm about to release, I can't ship their database.
>
> Shouldn't the data be Public Domain? For one thing it is merely a

Thanx for all the feedback. Yes, I (vaguely)  understand the PD issue.

I just wanted to know if anyone had dealt specifically with US Post data
before.

US Post says to deal with orgs like ZipWorld, and the latter require
both a redistribution licence, and that the data be encrypted before
redistribution :-(.

But they only refer to commercially-developed apps:

http://www.zipcodeworld.com/redistribution.htm

Hehehe.

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html