[cgiapp] peer review request for UTF patch: "Stray UTF8 bit on headers infects the whole output"

Rhesa Rozendaal perl at rhesa.com
Sun Jul 5 19:35:04 EDT 2009

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Could someone who is more UTF-8 savvy than myself peer review this simple UTF-8
> patch for CGI::Application for me?
>
> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=46513
>
> You can comment through the ticket or here.
>
>     Mark

You may find this thread on perlmonks relevant:

It also implies that the patch should probably test for the existence of the
utf8::downgrade function (for older perls).

My personal opinion: this patch is probably a good idea (given that LWP does
something similar), even though I have never had an issue with utf8 headers
myself (and I do output quite a bit of utf8 content). I'm by no means an
expert on encodings, but I do trust Juerds expertise on this subject (he's the
author of perlunitut).

rhesa