[cgiapp] RunmodeDeclare and ValidateRM incompatibility?

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 04:31:07 EDT 2009

Rhesa Rozendaal wrote:

>> It was designed to just get OP (Original Poster) to re-think /his/ line
>> of attack :-).
>
> Good point. At the very least it prompted me to suggest yet another
> approach.
> Ar you still with us, Richard? :-)

Wasn't then (02:52 GMT) - am now. It's true I've had a few issues with
RunmodeDeclare in the past, but always because I've misused it. Your
suggestion not to use signatures on run modes and to fetch query params
traditionally, or alternatively only declare positional arguments, are
both consistent with maintainability IMO, provided it's documented
locally in the application, so I can remember how it works when I come
back to it in future. That's really the issue here I think -
understanding (and remembering) how RunmodeDeclare (and
Method::Signatures) actually works.

So in answer to Ron's nuclear option, I'm not persuaded it's necessary
to bin it at the moment. But in reality I use it only for the admin
parts of my app, as it was too much work to re-factor all the rest of it
away from AutoRunmode, which was and is working fine anyway.
--
Richard Jones