[cgiapp] Seeking opinions on how to configure logging

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Wed Jun 17 21:50:49 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 21:05 -0400, Joshua Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Peter Karman<peter at peknet.com> wrote:
> > Ron Savage wrote on 6/17/09 8:01 PM:
> >
> >> I'm aware of Log::Dispatch::Config (with long-standing bug reports), but
> >> I'm wondering what else people are using or doing.
> >>

> > I like Log::Log4perl
> >

> I second that notion. Log::Log4perl supports all the Log::Dispatch
> methods too. Usage is super easy, and config is very flexible.

Too flexible. And only 1 of many such modules.

But you've given me a idea!

I'll provide my own logging class as a shim, i.e. a thin wrapper around
the end user's logger.

To configure it, I'll just pass in the name of the logger's config file.

And I'll need a default of course.

So the syntax in the original config file would be something like:
logger=My::Logger=/some/dir/logger.conf

Hey, I've just invented outsourcing!

Err, make that /re-/invented...

ron at savage.net.au