[cgiapp] Some general questions on CGI::App and OO web application design philosophy

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Sun Jun 7 20:47:42 EDT 2009

Hi Brad

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 21:47 -0400, Brad Van Sickle wrote:

[snip]

> It seems to me that there is probably a way to do this by using a
> different instance script for each section, but having them all leverage
> the same package by initializing it with section specific data on the
> forms and SQL statements, and than adding in subclasses or instance
> script code for any additional methods that may be required... but I'm
> still kind of new with OO PERL and I can't quite wrap my head around the
> details.  Coding that class to handle dynamically passed SQL statements
> and process dynamic forms seems very very difficult to me.

Despite me pointing you to the article by Mark Rajcok, I'm with Richard
in that you really should be using CGI::Application::Dispatch.

Besides seeming to be no more than an extremely neat way of arranging
things, it forces you to structure your modules in what I'd call the
best possible way. In other words, it forces you to concentrate on the
design of the code, rather than just on the source itself.

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html