[cgiapp] Re: YAPC talk about CGI::App or Titanium

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Mar 24 21:20:23 EDT 2009

> I don't know if anyone here remembers me, but I am the one who gave the
> CGI::Application talk last summer. I have been lurking on this list ever
> since.
>
> I would like to submit a talk for YAPC::NA about Titanium and how/when
> to use it. I have several questions for all of you:
>
> 1. Would you rather give the talk? I don't want to step on anyone's
> toes. I am not an author/contributor to CGI::App, so I am not the *most*
> qualified person to talk, but I am not afraid of standing in front of
> people and sharing what I know. If you really want to be the one to
> present  your module(s), I will gladly step back and allow you the
> opportunity.
>
> 2. Assuming no one else wants to give the talk(s), what things would you
> like to see covered in the talk? I would prefer to keep it aimed at a
> beginner/intermediate audience. I plan to cover Module::Starter::CGIApp,
> and the basic CGI::App/Titanium framework, and possibly tying in a
> database handle like I did in my YAPC08 talk.

Leonard,

I'm fine with you giving a CGI::App or Titanium talk. I would be happy
to review a draft and offer feedback on the slides as well.

For me, an important part of the Titanium vision is not yet realized,
although it does not seem too difficult to do. I would like distribute
Titanium with it's dependencies, to make it even easier to get started
with.

In the simplest form, such a bundle could easily be made using
"local::lib" and the --self-contained option I added it. But I got
sidetracked thinking about tools that would make such a project easy to
update, and force all the dependencies to be "pure perl" when possible.
Each XS Perl distribution that has a Pure-Perl option seems to handle
this differently. This in turn relates to current work to create a Pure
Perl HTML parser, which could be used by HTML::FillInForm, and in turn
by the "ValidateRM" plugin.

I would love to meet the "self-contained Titanium" milestone by YAPC,
but my spring feels especially full this year.

There's also the aspect that this would would really benefit new users,
but doesn't really help me directly, since I know how to get Titanium
installed. Sometimes it's harder to get in that more altruistic mood.
If other people share this vision for Titanium, we can see about ways to
divide up the work.

I think tools to distribute Perl projects as more self-contained (and
thus easier to install) would be a benefit to Perl culture in general.

http://mark.stosberg.com/