[cgiapp] Re: Making the query string delimiter & instead of ;

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Mar 11 02:34:09 EDT 2009

Thankyou both for responding.  In the end I succumbed to the lure of ;
Supposedly it is better anyway because & raises standards and escaping
issues.  Still I am curious about this now and would like to understand
just what is going on here.

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Stewart Heckenberg wrote:

> I tried Jaldhar's code and it worked for me, i.e. I got the oldstyle
> "&" delimeter.

Hmm.  Stewart which version of CGI.pm are you using?  I'm on 3.29

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Dave Baker wrote:

> I think you need "use CGI qw ( -oldstyle_urls );"

I don't understand why that would work.  use CGI qw ( -oldstyle_urls );
ought to be exactly equivalent to

BEGIN {
     require CGI;
     CGI->import(qw/ -oldstyle_urls /);
}

I tried the use.  Still no luck.  I tried my code but in a BEGIN block.
Still no luck.  Eventually I got it to work by putting

     require CGI;
     CGI->import(qw/ -oldstyle_urls /);

     my $url = CGI->new->self_url;

directly in my runmode.  And I got my &s at last!  But why would that make
any difference?